"$uper" frugal living. "$aving" money...one idea at a time.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Basic Granola

Basic Granola

(from Mama Cindy's cookbook --aka it's my mom's recipe---and yes, it's from an actual cookbook, of the three ring binder variety that is chalk full of family favorite recipes from our childhood...and beyond.  It's awesome!)  Anyhow....to the recipe.


6 1/4 cups rolled oats

1 cup coconut

1 cup slivered almond

1/4 cup sesame seeds  (optional)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup canola oil (can use half olive oil)*

3/4 cup honey

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup dried fruit (optional)


Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl.  Mix oil and honey together, heat on low until honey is warm and runny.  Stir in vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients; stir until evenly coated.  Spread on 2 cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes until lightly browned.  For finer granola stir every 5 minutes--for chunkier granola don't stir at all.  Add dried fruit after granola is cool.  Store in airtight container.  Keeps for 2-3 weeks.


Also try adding dates (ugh), mango, and craisins for a tropical mix; dried blueberries, cherries, strawberries, and raspberries for a plain fruit mix as well.


I am cheap, poor,  frugal...so, if my kids want fruit, they can add a few raisins.


*Oil can be cut in half (making it 1/4 cup) is desired.  It makes the granola a little dryer but not any less tasty...and far healthier.  Try it.

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a breakfast menu. I am going to have to try that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like homemade granola too. I use molasses in my recipe. And wheat germ. Dried cherries are yummy, but also expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried a few different granola recipes and not ever found one that I love. I might have to give this one a try! Another thing that I love for breakfast is doing pancakes, then freezing them for heating up in the toaster later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add, too, that I added cinnamon and nutmeg to this recipe this time. It's tasty. Very fall-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh...thanks for the ideas ladies. Lisa...I would love to have your recipe. Then I can try both and compare. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...